I love it when my friends have babies. I love shopping for baby things and looking at all the new fun baby stuff. However, when it comes to getting a baby gift, I quickly become overwhelmed and can’t decide what to get because I worry that they will already have what I picked out. Then someone will need to find the time to return it, and who has that kind of time when you have a new baby?! When I had my babies, my favorite gifts were handmade gifts; I knew they were made with love and they were unique!
If you are looking to make an adorable baby gift that won’t break the bank, this is it!
Supplies needed to make these adorable onesies are:
- Plain onesie
- Up to 3 different coordinating fabrics (fat quarters or scraps will do)
- Wonder Under (iron on, paper-backed fusible web)
- Matching thread
- Sewing machine
Steps to create the onesie:
- Cut out all the pieces on your template
- Iron the Wonder Under onto the back of your chosen fabric(s)
- Trace the pattern onto the paper of the Wonder Under
- Cut out the fabric and remove the paper backing from the fabric
- Place the fabric on the onesie
- Iron the fabric into place on the onesie
- Stitch along the edge of the fabric in either a straight stitch or a blanket stitch (traditional or reversed, either work fine)
*a note on the stitch choice: you will need to decide which look you prefer – there really is no right or wrong here. If you do a straight stitch, the edges will start to come up and it will eventually get a frayed look, which is really cute.
**a note on fabrics: I prefer to pre-wash my fabrics to decrease the chance of the fabric bleeding onto the onesie.
You know what else makes an adorable gift? A book! Even better? Two books! They make great baby shower gifts for a mom-to-be!